Header Ads Widget

New Update

6/recent/ticker-posts

WH- Questions (Easy learning)


WH- Questions

There are 2 main types of questions: Yes/No questions and WH- question. WH-questions are questions starting with WH-words including: what, when, where, who, whom, which, whose, why and how.

Question words are used to ask about specific qualities, times, places, people and so on. Below is a list of question words and example sentences:

Question words

Usages

Examples

What

Used to ask about things

- What is you job?

- What do you know about me?

When

Used to ask about time and date

- When do you go home?

- When do you married?

Where

Used to ask about places or locations 

- Where’s my the super market?

- Where is your mote bike?

Who

Used to ask about person

- Who do you your girlfriend?

- Who say that I am MARRY?

Whom

Used to ask about people (object of verb)

- Whom did you did you talk to?  I saw you answer the phone.

- Whom was Johnny talking to? He was talking to Jack, his new roommate.

Which 

Used to ask about choices

- Which one do you like most? The phone or the books?

- For all the foods in the menu, which one would you love?

Whose

Used to ask about possession

- Whose book is this? Is it mine?

- Whose cars are those?

Why

Used to ask about reasons/ causes

- Why do you want to learn English?

- Why are you doing this?

How

Used to ask about manner/ process

- How do you go to school? 

- How do you cook Carry?

I. How to form WH-questions?

1. With an auxiliary

Wh-word + auxiliary + subject + main verb …?

  • Auxiliary verbs are helping verbs (not main verbs).
  • Common auxiliary verbs include to Be (am, is, are, was were), to Do (do, did, done) , to have (have, has, had). Others are will, shall, would, can, could, must, should, may, might, etc.
  • What is you currier?
  • Why should we learn English?
  • When do you go home?
2. Without any auxiliary
(when WH-words replace subjects already)

Wh-word + main verb …?

  • What happened?
  • A bad traffic accident happened to him last week.
  • Who won the game?
  • Tio won the game.
  • Who gave you this present?
  • My cousin gave me this present.

II. Responding to WH-questions

1. What
  • What is it?
  • It’s an apple.
  • What is you best score?
  • It’s 95.
  • What are you doing right now?
  • I'm cooking the food.
  • What is your love subject?
  • I love mathematic.
  • What is the weather today?
  • It is a bit cloudy.
2. When
  • When do you go home?
  • I go home at 5pm.
  • When is your birthday?
  • It's on 15 June.
  • When do the ban start?
  • It starts on 5 minutes.
  • When will you back from the vocation?
  • I will back in 2 week.
3. Where
  • Where is your book?
  • It is in my bag.
  • Where do you go for for the holidays?
  • I go to visit my grandmother.
  • Where is the mount Fuji ?
  • Mount Fuji is in Japan.
  • Where do you go after school?
  • I go home.
  • Where is my order?
  • Your order will be finished in 3 minute sir.
4. Who
  • Who are you?
  • I am Mr. Jonh's son.
  • Who does this amazing statues?
  • His name is Mr. William.
  • Who is cooking for your dinner today?
  • It's always be me.
  • Who told you abut this?
  • Mr. Hang did. He told me everything.
5. Whom
  • Whom should we talk to?
  • We should talk to the principal. She’s responsible for student issues.
  • Whom did you see yesterday?
  • I saw Kevin and his girlfriend.
  • Whom would you like to interview?
  • I would like to interview Mr.Patrick, the director.
  • Whom do we have to contact?
  • We have to contact the representative of that company.
  • Whom did you meet in front of the building last week?
  • That was Annie, my secretary.
  • Whom do you know in this class?
  • I only know Danny.
  • Whom are you going to invite?
  • I’m going to invite all of my classmates
  • With whom do you agree?
  • I agree with Henry’s team.
6. Which
  • Which shirt do you like?
  • I like the one with the big yellow star on it.
  • Which color do you choose?
  • I choose red.
  • Which part do you like the most in this story?
  • I love the 2nd part when the prince came and proposed to the princess.
  • Which is the longest river in the world?
  • That’s the Nile.
  • Which one is yours?
  • Mine is the biggest one.
7. Whose
  • Whose jacket is this?
  • It’s my mom’s.
  • Whose birthday is today?
  • It’s Jenny’s.
  • Whose pencil is on the floor?
  • That’s mine.
  • Whose team is better?
  • Will’s team is much better.
8. Why
  • Why don’t we visit him now?
  • It’s a good idea.
  • Why did you leave so early?
  • Because I didn’t enjoy the party.
  • Why do you think that he loves you?
  • Because he’s given me lots of chocolate on Valentine’s day.
  • Why do people celebrate Thanksgiving?
  • Because it’s a special day.
  • Why can’t I go to the cinema now?
  • Because you haven’t done your homework.
  • Why are you so late?
  • Sorry, teacher. I missed the bus.
9. How
  • How’s the weather?
  • It’s sunny and hot.
  • How do you feel?
  • I feel much better now.
  • How did you know him?
  • We were old friends.
  • How’s your new job?
  • It’s interesting. I enjoy it.
  • How often do you go to the movie theater?
  • I sometimes go there. I’m quite busy.
  • How far is it from your house to school?
  • Not too far. I walk to school every day.
  • How much did it cost?
  • It cost $4.
  • How many people are there in your class?
  • There are 30 of them.
  • How come you lost the game?
  • I couldn’t answer the first question well enough.

Post a Comment

0 Comments